Wrong Card Read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong Card Read

Have you ever done a reading and realized you read a card as if it were another? I recently did that with the 9 of Coins, reading it as the 8 of Coins (TdM). Looking at it later, I was pretty much aghast. But looking at what I wrote, I decided that I liked it. So, was I touched by intuition, or just not paying attention?

Larry
    "The Tarot and its applications for card reading is thought of as something mysterious, mystical, magical, and, to some, even scary. But today we can see this classic craft as an ingenious creative thinking process called mind-mapping.
    Mind-maps look at a question visually with patterned positions.
    Tarot readings look at a question visually with patterned positions."
    - Genius of the Tarot by Vincent Pitisci

I'd say touched by intuition, Larry. Sometimes, I guess the cards find a way to let us know what we are looking for, no matter how!

I've had this happen, most remarkably when looking for the querent's card to do a counted card reading. I needed The Fool, somehow I ended up using the Hanged Man... It did work in the end!

​​​​Will you let us know if there's feedback, so we can see which it was?

Comment

That happened to me. It wasn’t until after I emailed the reading to the Querent that I noticed. The misread card fitted in with the overall spread much better than if I had read the card correctly so I didn’t amend the reading. Sometimes I think your intuition and instinct override the normal meaning of the cards, giving a completely fresh, but perfectly correct, interpretation.
      Last edited by Sanshatarot; 1 January 2022, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veronica Dove View Post
        I'd say touched by intuition, Larry. Sometimes, I guess the cards find a way to let us know what we are looking for, no matter how!

I've had this happen, most remarkably when looking for the querent's card to do a counted card reading. I needed The Fool, somehow I ended up using the Hanged Man... It did work in the end!

​​​​Will you let us know if there's feedback, so we can see which it was?
        What is a counted card reading, Veronica?
        Alex
        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Alex M View Post

What is a counted card reading, Veronica?
          I'll freely admit I butcher the method, as I've adapted it to my needs, but you can search for Benebell Wen's Opening of the first key for deets on the original.

Basically, it boils down to this:

I shuffle and cut the deck in four piles. One to represent each suit, which in turn corresponds with different areas of life (career, relationships, conflict or learning, and finances).

Then, I look for the querent's card in each pile. Sometimes I use a court card if I know them enough to pick which resonates with their personality, but otherwise, I look for The Fool. That's the pile that will center the question.

Then I lay out all cards from that pile in a circle, and starting from The Fool, I count: minors have their numeral value, and majors can be a 9 or a 12, depending on their correspondence (planet or zodiac).

Each card that the counting falls on gets slightly pulled from the circle (not completely, because they're still counted!) And when the counting falls in one card you've already pulled, then you're done: you use the cards for a free-from reading without positions in the area of life marked by the pile you found the querent in.

Does that make any sense?

​​​​

Comment

[QUOTE=Veronica Dove;n273816]

It does make sense but it also sounds really complicated (as do most things coming from Benebell )! I'll definitely have a look into it because I've never heard or seen this before. Thank you very much for explaining.

Alex
            Instagram

Comment

Hoooo yeah, I have definitely mixed up cards in a reading before When this happens, it's usually down to wrong assumptions about the suit (in some decks, swords and wands look REALLY similar... Hush Tarot, anyone??) or maybe when there's not a clear distinction between Knight and Page. However, I think readings are about what you see and not what you are 'supposed to' see, so if a sword looks like a wand and you read it like that, so be it!

Comment

Yes, I've had this happen - but as others have said before me, it's usually worked out! For me I suspect it was a combination of intuition and not paying attention - or my intuition seeing something else...

Comment

I once mixed up the Sun and the Star. :roll:
                  Love,
                  Kati

My blog: https://katalinpatnaik.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you to everyone who commented! This seems to be a, perhaps, common occurrence!

Larry
                    "The Tarot and its applications for card reading is thought of as something mysterious, mystical, magical, and, to some, even scary. But today we can see this classic craft as an ingenious creative thinking process called mind-mapping.
                    Mind-maps look at a question visually with patterned positions.
                    Tarot readings look at a question visually with patterned positions."
                    - Genius of the Tarot by Vincent Pitisci

Comment

Reading a card as if it's another, forgetting a card in the box... all these things are part of tarot reading. Once the reading is done, if you realize you did something "wrong", I tend to see it as part of the reading. It's done, and maybe there is a reason why I read it wrong/forgot a card in the box. If I realize the mistake during the reading, though, maybe it's worth asking "why?" - why am I tempted to read this card as this other one? Why did this card stay in the box? It's the same if when shuffling the cards one falls over (though that tends to happen multiple times, so I mostly just ignore it), you ask yourself why is that card jumping out at you.

Of course, none of that should change the reading, but it should help you understand what the cards are trying to tell you better. One of my teachers call it "getting testimony" - basically, it's getting confirmation from other aspects of the reading rather than just the cards and their meanings. It never replaces a reading, but it gives you confirmation on the way you are interpreting the cards.

May Swann
                      The Intuition Wizard
                      Follow me on Instagram - @intuitionwizard

Comment

Originally posted by May Swann View Post
                        Reading a card as if it's another, forgetting a card in the box... all these things are part of tarot reading. Once the reading is done, if you realize you did something "wrong", I tend to see it as part of the reading. It's done, and maybe there is a reason why I read it wrong/forgot a card in the box. If I realize the mistake during the reading, though, maybe it's worth asking "why?" - why am I tempted to read this card as this other one? Why did this card stay in the box? It's the same if when shuffling the cards one falls over (though that tends to happen multiple times, so I mostly just ignore it), you ask yourself why is that card jumping out at you.

Of course, none of that should change the reading, but it should help you understand what the cards are trying to tell you better. One of my teachers call it "getting testimony" - basically, it's getting confirmation from other aspects of the reading rather than just the cards and their meanings. It never replaces a reading, but it gives you confirmation on the way you are interpreting the cards.
                        I think that is a good point about including the 'mistake' as part of the reading. It's a bit like when you dream that you are in your home but it is not your home as it is in the physical world. That itself is meaningful as if the dream wants to draw you attention to something. So, it might mean that 'things are not as they appear on the surface' for example?

Comment

Totally happens to me and I tend to go with the flow when you think about it a card has so many layers of meaning so The Sun could be there but is reflecting The Moon and its messages. I think there is so much more we have to learn about tarot! ...When I pick a card and two or three throw themselves out so I say ok what do you want to say!

Comment

Originally posted by Juli View Post
                            Totally happens to me and I tend to go with the flow when you think about it a card has so many layers of meaning so The Sun could be there but is reflecting The Moon and its messages. I think there is so much more we have to learn about tarot! ...When I pick a card and two or three throw themselves out so I say ok what do you want to say!
                            Would totally agree with that, life can be trying to give you a nudge sometimes!
                            Happily living alongside nature
                            My cat is my best friend
                            Former Antra Member

Comment

Working...
                            X